Saturday, June 21, 2008

Nostalgia

Reed has recently taken a new interest in my old Fisher-Price Little People. Not the Little People of today, but the ones from the 70s that are no longer made because they could be choking hazards. FWIW, I never choked on one of them, and I’m still not sure how that could happen, but whatever.

His new interest in these guys has made me nostalgic for the toys of my childhood. I’ve spent a great deal of the morning on eBay, looking at all of the different “vintage” Little People (I can’t believe that toys from my childhood are now classified as “vintage”). One of the greatest things about the vintage LP is that the people could be played with on their own, and purchased without a big accessory. Sure, we had the airplane and the A-Frame house, but as often as not, we played with the LP on their own. With today’s LP, you have to buy a set – either the train, the racecar, the garage, or whatever – and only get one or two or maybe three people with the set. And all of the LP are outfitted to that scene – no more generic wooden bodies and plastic heads that can fit in with their specific set. We have a racecar driver that came with the racecar and track, a train conductor that came with the train and train tracks, and mechanics that came with the garage.

Something that has amazed me as I’ve been perusing these guys on ebay this morning has been the massive variety of LP that were manufactured in the 70s. Not just the LP, but the other things that FP made. Some of them just seem so random, yet I wish I’d had them in my collection.

Like the snowmobile set, a must-have for Minnesotans...




Or the complete hospital set - the scale, the hospital chair, the wheelchair, the hospital room screen, the hospital sink, and the gurney.


And so you have a place to put all the hospital stuff, here is the children's hospital.


The "laundry center," complete with Mom at the sewing machine.



And my possible favorite, because it's so random - the offshore oil rig.

6 comments:

IrishNYC said...

Old school LP were the best! I thought it was an abomination when my younger sister got LP and they didn't have the hole in the bottom. I used to do little puppet shows with them.

Betseeee said...

I know I had them, but I never realized they were called Little People back then.

BTW, you can buy tubes of LP without a big toy set. They usually are 3 people in a tube, or sometimes 2 people and an animal. I think Grandma (our big LP supplier - and boy is she serious) has gotten them at Target, but I'm sure they sell them elsewhere, too. Here's one example - http://www.amazon.com/Little-People-Grandparents-Tube-Set/dp/B000M52Z60

Single In NJ said...

This is iwouldloveto from LJ... I've been reading here for.. awhile.. and never commented... but this post made my heart sing... I LOVED my little people when I was a kid. I wish I knew where all of my old toys were...

Ladybird said...

Clay has the hospital and I think that it is still at Mom and Dad's house. He may correct me, but I think that he bought it at a yard sale when he was out with our babysitter one day. I know that it came with the wheelchair, but I can't remember the other things. We will have to dig it out the next time that you are in KY.

surly said...

Oh man, this post makes me want to go on ebay and buy up all the toys from my childhood! I loved my little people!

Anonymous said...

I am ctbride on ttc and also have never commented, I love LP too, so thought that I would! The old school ones are so much better -- my mom saved all of my "vintage" LP sets, and Mitch plays with them at her house.

About Me

Lexington, Kentucky
Grant is in kindergarten. If you've ever met him, you know he's got a big personality. I started this blog to track his kindergarten antics.