Thursday, July 17, 2008

So today sucked.

It started out okay - I slept decent last night, and Reed was in a relatively good mood this morning. It's Thursday and I'm taking tomorrow afternoon off to be home for the new refrigerator delivery and the service technician for the stove. I drove to the cities this morning with my friend and coworker Denise, so we could look at a piece of equipment that our management is looking at bringing to our plant. From there we went to lunch at a good Chinese restaurant (as opposed to the mediocre joints we have in our small town). As we left the restaurant and headed back towards Hutch, I thought to myself what a nice day it had been thus far.

We get about halfway back to Hutch when Denise's cell phone beeped, indicating that she had a voicemail. Why the phone didn't actually ring, I have no idea. She called to listen to the message, and that's when she learned that one of our employees was seriously injured today when she was performing a task that isn't normally done. This employee is very fortunate that her only injuries are broken bones - I'm not yet sure how many bones are broken, but her arm will be bothering her for quite a while. I keep running through the scenario in my head and comparing it to similar scenarios that I've heard about but never experienced firsthand - situations where employees are fatally injured performing similar tasks.

We are all very fortunate today.

1 comment:

surly said...

Yikes - I'm glad your coworker will be ok!

About Me

Lexington, Kentucky
Grant is in kindergarten. If you've ever met him, you know he's got a big personality. I started this blog to track his kindergarten antics.